York - 01904 716000
Wetherby - 01937 583210
Malton - 01653 692247
Wetherby 01937 583210
Malton 01653 692247
Change of Name

Change of Name Solicitors York, Wetherby & Malton

Our guide on changing your name

As recognised by Article 8 of the Human Rights Act 1998, everyone has the right to a private and family life, which includes having the right to change their name, without justification, providing that it is not for any frivolous such as a bet or fraudulent reason such as to avoid paying a debt.

There are several reasons why you might want to change your name including (but not limited to):

  • To double-barrel your name after entering into a marriage or civil partnership;
  • To bring a family together, for example, a step-family;
  • To reflect your gender;
  • You dislike your current name; or
  • Your name was registered incorrectly.

What changes can I make to my name?

The changes that you can make to your name include changing your forename, middle name(s) or surname, adding or removing names or changing the spelling of names.

How old do I have to be to change my name?

An individual can change their name from any age, however, whether you need consent from everyone with parental responsibility depends on your age.

If you are over 16 then you do not need consent from everyone with parental responsibility though if you are under 16 then you do.  If you are unable to obtain consent then you will need to make an application for a ‘specific issue order’, which is a separate matter.

I have a criminal record – can I change my name?

Having a criminal record does not mean that you cannot change your name but if there are any unresolved criminal proceedings against you or you are on probation or the Sex Offender’s Register then you must notify the police immediately or within a certain timeframe depending on the circumstances but this is something for you to probe.

How do I change my name?

Whilst the most common method of formalising a change of name remains enrolment at the Royal Courts of Justice, it is not actually a legal requirement to do this.  It is by virtue that the less common methods of formalising a change of name, for example, making an unenrolled deed poll are on the rise.

Here at Ware & Kay, we evidence your change of name by preparing a ‘Change of Name Deed’ which is an unenrolled deed poll comprising of the following statements:

  • Confirmation of your marital status;
  • Confirmation of your citizenship status;
  • Confirmation of your former name;
  • Confirmation that you absolutely renounce the use of your former name;
  • Confirmation that you shall use your new name in documents in place of your former name; and
  • Confirmation that you authorise third parties to use your new name.

You corroborate these statements by signing the Change of Name Deed in your former name and your new name and we witness your signatures to complete your change of name.

Our fees

Our professional fees for preparing Change of Name Deeds are:

  • If you are over 16 - £150.00 plus VAT; and
  • If you are under 16 - £175.00 plus VAT.

Payment on account of costs is required for Change of Name Deeds.

Our instructions

Should you wish to instruct us to prepare a Change of Name Deed for you, we will need the following:

  • Photographic ID, for example, passport or driving licence;
  • Proof of address, for example, a recent utility bill, bank statement or other document which independently verifies your home address providing that it is dated within the last three months;
  • Confirmation of your old name; and
  • Confirmation of your new name.

Subject to receiving the above, we shall prepare an initial draft of your Change of Name Deed before sending a copy to you for your approval after which we would arrange for you to come into the office to obtain, and witness, your signatures to the Change of Name Deed.

In addition to receiving the original of your Change of Name Deed, you will also receive six certified copies to file with the relevant organisations to inform them of your change of name.

Contact us

To find out more about this service and how we can help you, contact one of our branches on York 01904 716065, Wetherby 01937 583210 or Malton 01653 692247 or complete our contact form.