York - 01904 716000
Wetherby - 01937 583210
Malton - 01653 692247
Wetherby 01937 583210
Malton 01653 692247
Child Law

Child Law Solicitors York, Wetherby & Malton

At difficult times, such as divorce and separation, it is important that issues relating to any children involved are resolved and arrangements, in the best interests of the children, are put in place as soon as possible.

However, it is not always easy to agree on a way forward between partners even though the primary concern for many couples is often the welfare of their children.

At Ware & Kay Solicitors, we are sensitive to the issues and experienced in helping resolve disputes regarding any children. Wherever possible, parents are encouraged to make their own arrangements for their children. Unfortunately, sometimes this is not possible, and an agreement cannot be reached and, if so, court orders can be arranged where mediation cannot find a solution.

Child Custody Issues

Child custody issues involve matters such as with whom the child is to live with normally; agreeing the time to be spent by the child with the other parent; and agreeing specific issues such as schooling, medical or religious issues.

A Parental Responsibility Agreement: can protect your legal rights regarding being involved in the important decisions over your child's education and welfare. There are several legal options available through Orders.

Child Arrangement Orders:  these Orders deal with which parent the child is to usually live with; how much time is to be spent with the other parent; and changing a child's name or school.

Specific Issue Orders:  an application can be made to the court to resolve parental responsibility disagreements such as which school the child should attend; whether they should receive medical treatment; any religious issues; and whether the parent with care can take the child to live abroad.

Prohibited Steps Orders: the court can be asked to issue Orders preventing one parent taking a particular action regarding parental responsibility, such as preventing medical treatment; preventing the child being taken to live elsewhere, including abroad; or preventing association of the child with anyone who could be a harmful influence.

If the child has been taken into care, or Social Services have threatened this, we can offer practical advice and support.

Generally-speaking, the court will take the stance that it is preferable for a child if the parents are involved in their lives.

Child Maintenance

Maintenance is usually paid by the parent who does not have the day-to-day care of the child to the parent or whoever has responsibility for the care of the child. If the parents are unable to agree on the level of maintenance, an application can be made to the Child Maintenance Service who will decide on the level of payments.

Contact our Child Law Solicitors in Yorkshire

At Ware & Kay Solicitors, we will do what is best for and your children quickly, cost-effectively and efficiently as possible. To find out more about our Family & Child Law services and how we can help, call us today on 01904 716000 (York) or 01937 583210 (Wetherby) or 01653 692247 (Malton), or complete our online enquiry form and we will get back to you right away.