York - 01904 716000
Wetherby - 01937 583210
Malton - 01653 692247
Wetherby 01937 583210
Malton 01653 692247
Separation Agreements

Separation Agreements Solicitors York, Wetherby & Malton

When a relationship ends – be it a marriage, civil union, or cohabiting partnership – there are usually complex financial ties to be unravelled and responsibilities to be divided. A separation agreement is a formal contract between partners which determines how these matters will be handled.

Whatever your circumstances, a separation agreement allows you and your partner to move forward independently and make informed decisions about your futures. For legal assistance with setting up a separation agreement, do not delay and get in touch with one of our family lawyers at Ware & Kay by filling the online enquiry form.

Why do I need a separation agreement?

Whilst there is no legal requirement to have a separation agreement, the document can offer reassurance and certainty moving forward. They are especially useful for couples who are ready to separate but do not want to get divorced. If or when a separated couple does decide to formally divorce, the separation agreement offers a template for the financial settlement and allows the divorce process to progress without any delays or animosity between the parties.

For partners who have cohabited but not formalised their relationship, a separation agreement is a way to manage things fairly, with a legal recourse via the civil courts if the agreement is not upheld. Whether a cohabiting couple would benefit from a separation agreement depends on whether they share any financial assets, or if they need to make arrangements for children. If you are unsure whether a separation agreement is right for you, it is best to seek advice.

What can be included in a separation agreement?

The benefit of a separation agreement is its flexibility. It can be tailored to your unique situation, encompassing everything from child maintenance to pensions, the family home to future assets. An experienced family lawyer will ensure that your separation agreement covers everything you need it to include, as well as advise you on appropriate levels of maintenance payments if required.

How do we make a separation agreement?

A separation agreement should be formally written up, and both parties must fully disclose their assets and liabilities. Since a separation agreement can be wide-ranging and intricate, we strongly recommend that you take advice from a knowledgeable family lawyer. Moreover, a separation agreement carries more weight in relation to the final divorce settlement if both parties sought independent legal advice at the time of making the agreement.

Contact our Separation Agreement Lawyers in Yorkshire

Our understanding and empathetic family lawyers can support you in securing your future finances and help you and your family to move forward with confidence. To find out more about separation agreements and how we can help you, call us today on  01904 716000 (York) or 01937 583210 (Wetherby) or 01653 692247 (Malton), or complete our online enquiry form and we will get back to you right away.

Contact us